THE MANDATE OF COLUMBIA POWER CORPORATION
The core projects to be undertaken by Columbia Power and CBT are the Arrow Lakes Generating Station (completed), Brilliant Expansion Project (completed) and the current Waneta Expansion Project. The partners may also undertake other generation, transmission or distribution projects in the Columbia Basin.
The purchase of the Brilliant Dam in 1996 was the first investment by the partners. Construction of the first major construction project, the Arrow Lakes Generating Station, commenced in 1999.
The objective of Columbia Power in making power project investments is to support the employment, economic development and resource management objectives of the Province and CBT, within the constraints of a commercial corporation.
POWER PROJECT FUNDING
SUSTAINABLE ENERGY FOR THE COLUMBIA BASIN
Columbia Power Corporation (Columbia Power) sees the development of hydroelectric power projects in the Columbia Basin as a way to provide clean, green power to an energy-hungry market. Our projects use water that would otherwise be spilled over existing dams to produce constantly renewable electric power.
In addition to generating new electricity and creating thousands of jobs, our power projects provide other benefits as well:
- community involvement and input during project planning and construction
- improved fish and aquatic habitat downstream
- lowered greenhouse gas emissions by offsetting the demand for electricity generated by burning fossil fuels
- local spending on goods and services
- preference to local, qualified workers
- equity hiring provisions for First Nations, women and disabled workers